Health Care/Medical Assistance
Medical Assistance (MA), also known as Medicaid, pays for health care services for eligible individuals.
How to Apply
There are different ways to apply for MA. Please choose the option that suits you best. If you do not know if you are eligible, you can still apply.
- Online: Using the COMPASS website, you can apply for MA and many other services that can help you make ends meet.
- Telephone: Call the Consumer Service Center for Health Care Coverage at 1-866-550-4355.
- In-Person: You can contact your local county assistance office (CAO).
- On Paper: You can download an application and send to your local CAO. If you need help completing the application form, a CAO staff member can help you. Click on one of the following links to download an application.
What if I am not eligible?
Contact your CAO and a trained staff member will determine what programs might be available to you. You can explore these links to learn about additional health care programs available in Pennsylvania.
What kind of care is available?
- Physical Health Options
- Mental Health/Substance Abuse Services Options
Where can I find information about providers
accepting MA patients?
- If you are eligible for MA, you may call the Fee-for-Service Recipient Service Center at 1-800-537-8862. They will provide you with a list of enrolled providers for MA patients.
- There is also a fee-for-service provider physician directory available.
Please note that the directory contains physicians enrolled in the MA program. Patients who need a physician and are using this directory should contact the physician's office to determine: 1) if they will accept Pennsylvania MA fee-for-service, known as ACCESS; and 2) if the physician is accepting new patients before making an appointment.