Medical Assistance for Children
and Pregnant Women
Medical Assistance (MA) provides coverage for:
- Pregnant women (coverage for pregnant women can begin as soon as your doctor or nurse informs you that you are pregnant).
- Children of low-income families through age 18.
Children are automatically covered up to age one if the mother is eligible for and receiving Medical Assistance on the date of the child's birth and the child continues to live with the mother.
How Can I Apply for MA?
- If you are pregnant, your doctor's office, health clinic, or a qualified hospital may be able to complete a form providing you with temporary eligibility (presumptive eligibility) and assist you in completing an application.
- You may apply online using COMPASS. You can also use COMPASS to apply for other benefits such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Cash Assistance.
- You can also contact your local county assistance office for an application or you may download an application form (below) to send to your county assistance office. If you need help completing the application form and a friend or relative is unable to help you, trained county assistance office staff members can help you.
What are the Medical Benefits for Children and Pregnant Women?
- Provides health care coverage to underinsured or uninsured pregnant women and infants
- Full scope of medical services coverage
- Coverage for the pregnant woman eligible for and receiving Medical Assistance is continued for 60 days after the birth
- Proper prenatal care
- Early detection and treatment of health problems
- Helps in decreasing infant mortality
- Helps in decreasing low birth weight, which is tied to health problems later in life
Income Requirements for Medical Assistance for Children and Pregnant Women
Pregnant women and children up to age one: Family income may not exceed 215 percent of the FPIG — When determining which income eligibility limit applies to a pregnant woman, household size is increased by the number of unborn children. Example: If a woman verifies she is pregnant with twins, then she counts as three persons.
|Household Size||Monthly Pregnant Women and Infants Under Age One (215 percent FPIG)||Monthly|
Children Age One to Age Five (157 percent FPIG)
Children Ages Six to Under Age 19 (133 percent FPIG)
|Each Additional Person||+$814||+$594||+$504|
- Children ages one through five — Family income may not exceed 157 percent of the FPIG.
- Children ages six through 18 — Family income may not exceed 133 percent of the FPIG.
- No Resource requirements — Resources such as vehicles, property, and life insurance are not considered in determining eligibility for this program.