Medical Assistance Benefits
for Workers with Disabilities
For people with disabilities, finding a job or returning to work can be a challenge. For a long time, one of the biggest obstacles to working was health care coverage. Earning too much money meant risking losing health care benefits. However, there is an option: Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (MAWD).
MAWD lets Pennsylvanians with disabilities take a fulfilling job, earn more money and still keep their full medical coverage. With MAWD you can keep Medical Assistance while you work, even if your earnings increase above the limits for other Medical Assistance programs. Now you do not have to choose between a job and your health.
How to apply?
You can apply for benefits online in a quick, easy and secure way using COMPASS.
Contact your local county assistance office (CAO) or caseworker to apply, or to find out more about how MAWD can help.
Call the Department of Human Services HelpLine at 1-800-692-7462 (TTY/TTD 1-800-451-5886) for more information.
To be eligible for MAWD, you must:
* Disabilities may include physical or developmental disabilities, mental health or intellectual disabilities.
** Contact your caseworker or local county assistance office(CAO) for more information. You can apply for benefits online in a quick, easy and secure way using COMPASS.
What's the cost?
Premium Vouchers are mailed monthly as long as you remain eligible for MAWD. There are two ways to pay your monthly premium, online and mail.
- Online: In most cases you can pay your monthly premium online using a credit card or Telechek. Follow the instructions on the MAWD Online Flyer or click on the make payment link above.
- Mail: Remit payment in the business reply envelope included with your monthly voucher.
Benefits may include:
- Doctor visits
- Durable medical equipment
- Prescription drugs
- Emergency care
- Mental health services
- Dental services
- Drug and alcohol treatment
- Hospital stays
- Rehabilitation services
- Hospice services
- Medical transportation services