Qualify for at least one of the following student exemptions:
Exemptions based on Enrollment Status
- Attending high school;
- Enrolled in school less than half-time, as determined by your school;
- Attending a school or training program that is
not an institution of higher education, meaning a school (or special curriculum at a college) which doesn’t require you have a high school diploma or GED to enroll.
Exemptions based on Age or Disability
- Under age 18;
- Age 50 or older;
- Physically or mentally unfit.
Exemptions based on being a Parent or Caretaker
- Receiving TANF benefits;
- Caring for a child under age 6;
- Caring for a child age 6-11 if childcare is unavailable;
- Single parent caring for a child age 6-11
and going to school full-time.
Exemptions based on Work or Training
- Working 20 hours per week;
- Self-employed and earning at least $145 per week;
- Participating in a work-study program, regardless of hours or earnings;
- Participating in an on-the-job-training program (OJT);
- Enrolled in school through certain workforce development programs.
Special Exemption for Community College Students Only
- Be enrolled in certain career-driven majors or courses of study. Your school can verify you meet this criterion by completing
Special Exemption for Programs that Increase Employability
- Be enrolled in school through or in compliance with a DHS-approved state or local program to increase employability (approved programs).