DHS COVID-19 PROVIDER RESOURCES // ODP
ODP Announcement 20-069:
2020-2021 Waivers Cap Exceptions Guidance
For the Person/Family Directed Support and Community Living Waivers
Updated: June 10, 2020
The purpose of this communication is to provide additional guidance to Individual
Support Planning Teams on the criteria for requesting a cap exception for the
Person/Family Directed Support (P/FDS) and Community Living Waivers.
On May 11, 2020 the Office of Developmental Programs (ODP) published Fiscal Year (FY)
2020-2021 Renewal Guidance. As individuals begin to participate in activities in the
community following the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, ODP recognizes that
services may not be available at the same capacities and locations as they were prior to
the COVID-19 pandemic.
For instance, CPS facility providers will be expected to operate within new guidelines
which may limit their capacity to serve individuals at levels prior to the COVID-19
pandemic. In order for an individual to receive the support the individual needs, the
Individual Support Plan may need to be revised. For example, CPS 1:1 may need to be
extended or other services may be identified to replace CPS 1:1 services.
In recognition of this, ODP will be allowing additional P/FDS and Community Living
Waiver cap exceptions consistent with the following guidance:
1. CPS facility units may be re-allocated among CPS Facility, CPS Community, In-Home
and Community Supports, Companion and/or Respite services as long as the total
number of units does not exceed the number of units authorized before the COVID-19 pandemic. If this change alone causes an individual to exceed the waiver cap, an
exception will be granted.
2. The federal approval to grant COVID-related cap exceptions currently expires on
March 10, 2021, so absent a further extension, it will be necessary to bring FY 21-22
ISP’s back within the approved waiver caps.
3. In order to request a FY 20-21 cap exception as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic,
please complete the attached template and submit to your Regional Program
Please direct any questions about this announcement to your respective regional
|Central Region Office|
- Adams/York, Bedford/Somerset, Blair, Cambria, Centre, Columbia/Montour/Union/Snyder, Cumberland/Perry, Dauphin, Franklin/Fulton, Huntingdon/Mifflin/Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lycoming/Clinton, Northumberland
|Northeast Region Office|
- Berks, Bradford/Sullivan, Carbon/Monroe/Pike, Lehigh, Luzerne/Wyoming, Northampton, Schuylkill, Susquehanna/Lackawanna, Tioga, Wayne
|Southeast Region Office|
Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia
|Western Region Office|
Allegheny, Armstrong/Indiana, Beaver, Butler, Cameron/Elk, Clarion, Clearfield/Jefferson, Crawford, Erie, Fayette, Forest/Warren, Greene, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Potter, Venango, Washington, Westmoreland.