Mental Health Planning Council
The Pennsylvania Mental Health Planning Council (MHPC) consists of three committees: Children's Advisory Committee, Adult Advisory Committee, and Older Adult Advisory Committee. These committees come together to form the MHPC whose purpose is to advise on a broad behavioral mandate to include — but not be limited to — mental health, substance abuse, behavioral health disorders, and cross-system disability.
The Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (OMHSAS) advisory committees include individual representatives of youth, adult and older adult individuals who have been served by the behavioral health system, family members of such youth and adults, providers, advocates, professionals, their respective organizations, as well as governmental organizations. At least 51 percent of the members are current or former behavioral health consumers and family members. Members are appointed by the deputy secretary of OMHSAS.
Public Comment on Call for Change Recommendations
At the 2/25/20 Mental Health Planning Council Quarterly meeting, the Council voted to approve the recommendations below to OMHSAS on the updated Call for Change Project. The Council is now requesting public input on these recommendations and will be accepting public comments through Friday, April 3, 2020. For reference, the original Call for Change document, published in 2005, is also linked below. Comments can be submitted to: RA-OMHSASMHPC@pa.gov.
Upcoming Meeting Dates
- Tuesday, December 15, 2020
- Committee Sessions: 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Joint Session: 1:00pm - 3:00pm
This meeting will be held virtually.
FY20-21 Save the Date Confirmed Dates
SFY20-21 Save the Date: Confirmed dates for the Mental Health Planning Council (MHPC) SFY20-21 quarterly meetings are included on the attached FY20-21 Save the Date. If any changes occur throughout the year, updates will be provided through the MHPC Appointed Member Listserv, the OMHSAS Public Listserv, and posted on the Mental Health in PA Website.
If you have any questions, please contact the MHPC Email account at: RA-PWOMHSASMHPC@pa.gov
Committee Member Expectations
- Committees will meet at least four times per year in the Harrisburg region. Committee members are expected to physically attend at least three of these meetings annually. Members without state/agency funding may request travel cost reimbursement through OMHSAS.
- Committee members are expected to read and respond to e-mailed requests from Committee Co-Chairs in a timely fashion.
- Committee members are expected to represent their broader constituency — not only themselves or their own family member(s)/ organization(s) — in their committee's work.
- Members must have the ability to communicate with those they are representing to bring their concerns to the committee and to report back on the outcomes of the committee's work.
- Committee members should have the time and ability to participate in additional workgroups throughout the year on an as-needed basis.