Begin Main Content Area

‚ÄčIndependence Waiver

 * (Transitioned to Community HealthChoices) 

If you are an adult with a severe physical disability, the Independence Waiver may be able to help you live or remain in the community.

To be eligible for the Independence Waiver you must:

    • Be a Pennsylvania resident
    • Be ages 18-60: A person that turns 60 while in the waiver will be able to get services through the Independence Waiver.
    • Have a physical disability that limits three or more of the following major life activities:
    • Self-care, understanding, and use of language, learning, mobility, self-direction and/or capacity for independent living.
    • Meet the financial requirements as determined by your local county assistance office.

You are not eligible if you:

    • Have an intellectual disability
    • Have a major mental disorder
    • Reside in a nursing facility or the community but have been assessed to need services provided by a nursing facility

Services available may include:

    • Adult daily living services
    • Accessibility Adaptations, Equipment, Technology, and Medical Supplies
    • Community Integration
    • Community Transition Services
    • Financial Management Services
    • Home Health
    • Non-Medical Transportation
    • Personal Assistance Services
    • Personal Emergency Response System (PERS)
    • Respite
    • Service Coordination
    • Supported Employment
    • Therapeutic and Counseling Services
    • Employment Skills Development
    • Job Coaching
    • Residential Habilitation
    • Structured Day Habilitation
    • Behavior Therapy Services
    • Nursing Services
    • Occupational Therapy Services
    • Physical Therapy Services
    • Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies
    • Speech and Language Therapy Services
    • Assistive Technology
    • Benefits Counseling
    • Career Assessment
    • Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy Services
    • Home Adaptations
    • Job Finding
    • Nutritional Consultation Services
    • Therapeutic Consultation Services
    • Vehicle Modifications

Learn More

  • To view the current Independence Waiver, click here. (An accessible version of this document is available upon request)


    • For Information: Office of Long-Term Living Bureau of Participant Operations: (717) 787-8091
    • Enrollment: PA Independent Enrollment Broker: 1-877-550-4227