Promoting Interoperability Program
(formerly known as the Medicaid EHR Incentive Payment Program)
Technology has the potential to transform our health care delivery system and improve the quality of care for the patients we serve. Tools such as electronic health records and a health information exchange increase a provider's access to patient's medical information and also provide for more efficient information sharing by reducing error rates and the overall cost of care. Health information technology is now an integral part of a long-term solution for improving the quality of life for all Pennsylvanians.
The Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Payment Program was created by the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act and administered by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. This program provides funding to states to develop and administer provider incentive programs. In 2018, CMS changed the name of the EHR Incentive Program to the Promoting Interoperability Program.
- May 2021 Promoting Interoperability Program Webinar Announcement:
We have recently completed our final webinar for the Program. If you would like to view any information about our webinar's please click here. If you have any questions, please email us at RAemail@example.com.
Important Application Dates
- Promoting Interoperability Program Timeline:
We have created a timeline for everyone to use to better understand the upcoming deadlines associated with the program. If you have any questions about these deadlines please email us at RAfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reminder Regarding Program Year 2021 CEHRT & Meaningful Use Requirements
CMS is requiring the use of 2015 Edition CEHRT for all providers. In addition, all providers must attest to Stage 3 Meaningful Use. Please refer to the 2019 through 2021 MAPIR Screenshots for any additional questions.
- Medical Assistance Provider Incentive Repository (MAPIR) System:
We are no longer accepting applications for Program Year (PY) 2020, the deadline was March 31, 2021. If you have any problems or questions about your application, please email us at RAemail@example.com.
- Program Year 2021 Reporting Periods:
- The Meaningful Use (MU) EHR Reporting Period and the Clinical Quality Measure (CQM) will be a minimum of any continuous 90-day period. Eligible Professionals may attest for Program Year 2021 anytime between June 01, 2021 - October 31, 2021.
- MAPIR has three different sections for Clinical Quality Measures which are: Outcome CQMs, High Priority CQMs, and Other CQMs. If none of the Outcome CQMs pertain to your scope of practice, you must select at least one (1) High Priority CQM. If none of the High Priority CQMs pertain to your scope of practice, you will then select a minimum of six (6) CQMs from the "Other" category.
- DOH Public Health Measure Declaration of Readiness — This Declaration of Readiness document outlines the five registries available for the Medicaid EHR Payment Incentive Program (Electronic Laboratory Reporting, Syndromic Surveillance, Immunization, Cancer Reporting, and Prescription Drug Monitoring Program), from which they are accepting data, contact information and requirements. This document will provide the documentation providers and hospitals will need to support their participation or their exclusion from these measures. If you have any questions, please email us at RAfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Helpful Audit Information
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) requires states to ensure that payments are being made to the right person, at the right time, for the right reason. To receive an incentive payment, eligible professionals attest that they are using Certified Electronic Health Record Technology (CEHRT), meeting Meaningful Use (MU) requirements, and providing all supporting documentation upon request. We encourage you to read and review the various resources listed below to help guide you with valuable information regarding the audit process.
If you are chosen for an audit, you will be notified, and additional details will be provided to you. As indicated at the time you received your incentive payment, we require you to keep all supporting documentation for 6 years. To ensure a smooth audit process, we recommend having dedicated staff members who have the knowledge and access to all supporting documents. This would include all login credentials as well as the knowledge of where in the system to access this information. The Audit Team has developed a Best Practices for Retaining Audit Documents guide to help in the case you are chosen for a post-payment audit.
The Program has resources to help providers understand the supporting documentation requirements:
PV reports must be in Excel format and sent to the Program using one of the following secure methods:
- DIRECT Messaging Account (if you have a DIRECT account): PADPW-OMAP-MAHEALTHIT@directaddress.net.
- Password Protect: You may password protect your Excel document to ensure its security. If you choose this method, please send us a separate email to RA-MAPIRaudit@pa.gov providing us with the password to open your Excel document. If you are unsure how to password protect an Excel file, you can find instructions here: https://support.office.com Search Protect Excel File
- Email: RA-MAPIRaudit@pa.gov by using secure/encrypted email. Due to your document containing PHI, it must be sent securely. If you are unable to send a secure/encrypted email from your location, please email us and we will be happy to send you a secure email that you may reply to by attaching your Excel document in a secure format
Below we have several Meaningful Use (MU) Supporting Documents based on Program Year and MU Stage for EPs.
For questions and/or to provide feedback about the Promoting Interoperability Program, please utilize one of the following options:
CMS EHR Information Center: An information center is now available to answer Electronic Health Records Incentive questions. The center is open from 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. (Central Time) Monday through Friday, except for federal holidays, at 1-888-734-6433 (primary number) or 888-734-6563 (TTY number).