DHS COVID-19 PROVIDER RESOURCES // OLTL
Vaccination Information for Office of Long-Term Living Home and Community-Based Providers
Issued: January 12, 2021
Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Providers
Getting Pennsylvanians immunized with a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine is an essential step in reducing the number of virus-related cases, hospitalizations and deaths. The Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH) guides the distribution and administration of the COVID-19 vaccine.
The purpose of this communication is to inform Office of Long-Term Living (OLTL) Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) providers of the most recent COIVD-19 vaccine information provided by DOH. OLTL HCBS providers with a direct care component are included in the definition of health care personnel in the Phase 1A sub-prioritization guidance found in Section 3 of Pennsylvania's COVID-19 Interim Vaccination Plan.
Recently, the Department of Health issued an Order of the Secretary found here: Vaccination of Community Health Care Providers.pdf (pa.gov). This Order, effective January 6, 2021, requires that hospitals, health systems, Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) and pharmacies reserve at least 10 percent of each shipment of vaccine to vaccinate health care personnel not affiliated with a hospital or health system.
Healthcare personnel in Phase 1A not affiliated with a hospital or health system should work with an enrolled hospital, health system, FQHC or pharmacy in their jurisdiction. Please refer to the attached overview issued by the DOH for Phase 1A Healthcare Personnel not Affiliated with a Hospital or Health System which is attached to this message.
HCBS Providers should consider:
- Establishing a process to track vaccinations within your agency.
- Although vaccination information will be reported to DOH by vaccine providers, all healthcare personnel or their employers are requested to track vaccine participation and keep records of those who accept and those who decline vaccination.
A map of vaccine providers is available on the DOH website. The map provides important details to help you select a vaccine provider, including whether the provider has received the vaccine yet. The map will be updated as more providers receive the vaccine
- Once you have selected a vaccine provider(s):
- Review, for planning and discussion with your selected vaccine provider, the PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH 2020-PAHAN-541-12-16-ADV: Infection prevention and control considerations for healthcare personnel with signs and symptoms following COVID-19 vaccination.
- Communicate the number of individuals within your agency and locations needing vaccine to the vaccine provider.
- Mark the date and time of vaccination and ensure that individuals within your agency who were identified are scheduled to receive their second dose. This second dose is three weeks later for the Pfizer vaccine and four weeks later for the Moderna vaccine.
- Follow processes and procedures required by the vaccine provider.
If individuals are asked for proof of employment, and they are a direct care worker in the participant directed model, they can log in to the PPL website to download a letter conveying proof of employment.
Please share this guidance with others in your agency and stakeholders, as applicable.