Coronavirus-Related Resources for PA Citizens
Important Information Regarding Medical Assistance Prescription Drug Copays During
the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
Issued: June 29, 2020
In response to the nationwide public health emergency for COVID-19, the Pennsylvania Medical Assistance (MA) Program is not charging copays for drugs that can be used to treat symptoms from COVID-19. These drugs are listed below. Our records show that you have gotten one of the drugs with your ACCESS card.
This change is for prescriptions that were filled beginning March 1, 2020. If you had a prescription filled at the pharmacy between March 1, 2020 and April 21, 2020 for a drug that is in the list below, you may have been charged the copay. We want to make sure that if you paid the copay, and the pharmacy has not already refunded it to you, you know to ask the pharmacy for a refund of the amount you paid. This includes any copay you may have paid for the drugs listed below that were delivered directly to where you live.
The drugs that do not require a copay during this public health emergency are:
- Drugs to treat fever, aches, and pains;
- Drugs to treat diarrhea;
- Drugs to treat nausea and vomiting;
- Drugs to treat infection;
- Drugs to treat asthma and other lung conditions;
- Drugs to help with cough and colds; and
- Drugs for eye itching, dryness, and infection
When the public health emergency for COVID-19 ends, copays will again be charged for the above drugs.
What You Should Do
If you paid a copay for one of the drugs listed above, you should take this notice to the pharmacy and ask about a refund. If your pharmacy has any questions about giving you a refund, they may call the MA Pharmacy Services call center at 1-800-537-8862 (TDD/TYY 1-866-872-8969) for more information.
For More Information
- Call the MA call center at 1-800-537-8862 (TDD 1-866-872-8969), if you have any questions.
- If you speak a language other than English, language assistance services — free of charge — are available to you. If you need this notice translated into another language, download this notice by clicking the link below, check the box and/or write the name of the language on the line at the bottom of the form, and mail a copy of the entire notice to: BFFSP, LEP Services, P.O. Box 8050, Harrisburg, PA 17105.