- Increase individuals trained to identify/ refer at-risk individuals.
- Increase the number of youth screened and referred for treatment.
- Increase clinical service providers trained to assess, manage and treat at-risk youth.
- Increase awareness about suicide prevention.
- Reduce rates of suicidal ideation, attempts and deaths.
- Promote state-wide, systems-level change.
Suicide Prevention Initiatives
- Support the use of validated screening tools to identify and refer those at risk for suicide
- Support suicide prevention training efforts across PA.
- Support Prevent Suicide PA.
- Partner with the Crisis Text Line.
- Promote the adoption of “Zero Suicides” as an aspirational goal.
- Eliminate disparities in suicide prevention activities.
Garrett Lee Smith Suicide Prevention Grant Projects
The Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (OMHSAS) has received federal funding from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to develop youth suicide prevention activities across the Commonwealth since 2008. Our efforts have been in three focused settings: primary care health, secondary schools (i.e., middle and high schools) and colleges and universities.