Begin Main Content Area

​Personal Care Home Complaints

Are you concerned about quality of care in a Personal Care Home? 

Where to Get Help:

Talk directly to your Personal Care Home Licensing Administrator. He/she is responsible for the operation of the Personal Care Home (PCH). Each PCH is required to have a system in place to address your concern and develop a plan to listen to and investigate your concern and lead to a reasonable and acceptable solution.

The Department of Human Services is always here to assist you. Providing health and safety protections for personal care residents is our responsibility. During business hours, please contact your local regional office or the Complaint Line at 1-877-401-8835.  Complaints may be lodged directly with the Personal Care Homes Regional Offices:

You may also send us your complaint by mail or email. See Regional Office contact information above or you may send an email to

If it is after business hours or on a weekend or holiday, and you believe it is an emergency situation, please call 911.

Call your local Area Agency on Aging. The phone number is in the blue pages of the phone book. A trained professional will either help resolve the issue or contact the proper authority, if necessary.

The Department takes all complaints seriously. If you request, the Department will return your calls during normal business hours Monday through Friday.

Complaint investigations take many avenues, including collateral contacts, interviews, phone calls, record review and on-site inspections. Complaints are assessed for the level of health and safety risk to the residents. The time frames for complaint investigations are assessed based on a review of not only the complaint allegations, but also the licensing history of the facility, previous complaint allegations and compliance history.