SNAP for Older Adults
Studies have shown that older adults who are food insecure have:
- Diets that are less nutritious
- Worse health outcomes
- A higher risk of depression
In contrast, seniors enrolled in SNAP have better health and need less acute and long-term care.
Do I qualify?
Eligibility for SNAP is based on factors such as household income and available resources. The COMPASS website has a "Do I Qualify?" tool, or visit your county assistance office to learn more.
How to apply
Applying is easier than ever!
Have the following ready:
- Dates of birth for all members of your household
- Social Security numbers for all members of your household
- Household income information
- Household expense information
- Housing costs (such as rent or mortgage)
- Medical expenses
Apply online or in-person
There is a shortened, two-page application for Pennsylvanians 60 or older and/or with disabilities and no earned income.
- Apply online using COMPASS. When you input your information, the system will provide you with a simplified application. If you run into problems, call the COMPASS Helpline at 1-800-692-7462. Hearing-impaired? Call 1-800-451-5886. The helpline is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Apply in person via your county assistance office. An expert can help you through the process.