Human Services Licensing
On July 1, 2012, the Department of Human Services (DHS) consolidated licensing functions previously administered in several DHS program offices into a single administrative Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) within the DHS' Office of Administration. By consolidating licensing functions, DHS seeks to increase efficiency by eliminating duplicative administrative structures and to improve its regulatory protection of vulnerable populations. The Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) is responsible for the oversight of the following regulations: Adult Training Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2380), Vocational Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2390), Personal Care Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2600), Assisted Living Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2800), Child Residential and Day Treatment Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 3800), Community Residential Rehabilitation Services for the Mentally Ill (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5310), Long-Term Structured Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5320), Community Homes for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6400), and Family Living Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6500).
If you are having difficulty finding the information you need, please contact DHS.
**For anyone interested in receiving email updates related to Human Services provider services, please join our ListServ email update service.**
**WHAT'S NEW - Updates to the Website**
- The March - May 2017 Medication Administration Training Program dates are now available. Please see the link titled "General - Training Information" under the "General Information" section below (January 31, 2017).
- Free annual training is being offered for PCH Administrators and direct care staff. See the link titled "Free Training for PCH Administrators & Direct Care Staff" by clicking the "Personal Care Homes - Training Information" link below (January 25, 2017).
- The Bureau of Human Services Licensing is seeking human service provider feedback about the most recent licensing inspection at your facility and/or new application submissions within past 12 months. The surveys are brief and will only take about 5 minutes to complete. The responses will be reviewed and assessed for improvements to the licensing process. Participation is voluntary and responses will be kept confidential. An aggregate of the survey results will be posted on the Bureau of Human Services Licensing website at least annually. To access the survey links, please see the link below titled "General - Miscellaneous Information" under the "General Information" section. After clicking on the link titled "General - Miscellaneous Information", scroll down to the bolded, highlighted text "Provider Survey"; the survey links are in blue font (January 13, 2017).
- Information about the Influenza Awareness Act has been posted for personal care homes and assisted living residences. BHSL will begin to measure compliance with the Act effective March 1, 2017. Please see the links below titled "Personal Care Homes - Policy, Regulations and Interpretation Information" and "Assisted Living Residences - Policy, Regulations and Interpretation Information" for information about the Act, and what is expected of licensees. In addition, a December Q/A for personal care homes and assisted living residences has also been posted to those same links referenced (January 5, 2017).
- Effective January 1, 2017 there will be a region realignment for personal care home operators. Please see the link titled "Region Realignment Letter" under the "Personal Care Homes - Miscellaneous Information" link below. In addition, the links titled "Personal Care Homes - Regional Offices" and "Personal Care Homes - Regions" have been updated accordingly (January 4, 2017).
- Information about influenza has been posted. See the new link titled "Influenza Outbreaks in Long-Term Care Facilities: A Toolkit for Facilities" under the "General - Miscellaneous Information" link below (December 20, 2016).
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) OPERATOR SUPPORT HOTLINE
Do you have a question, comment, complaint or suggestion for the Bureau of Human Services Licensing? Now there's a hotline just for you! Human Services Licensing’s Operator Support Hotline is available from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. each business day.
For assistance call: 1-866-503-3926
(This hotline is for human service operators)
Calls to the hotline may be anonymous and will not result in unannounced licensing inspections
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) COMPLAINT HOTLINE
Do you or someone you know receive services from a human services setting?
Do you have a complaint or a concern about how care is provided?
If so, call: 1-877-401-8835