Human Services Licensing
The Bureau of Human Services Licensing is responsible for the statewide licensing and oversight of Personal Care Homes (Chapter 2600) and Assisted Living Residences (Chapter 2800). Licensing Administration and Research Section and Adult Protective Services Section (Act 70 of 2010) are also under the auspices of the Bureau of Human Services Licensing.
Learn about the Office of Developmental Programs regarding the applications, licensing, and the services they provide.
Learn about the Office of Children, Youth & Families regarding applications, licensing, and the services they provide.
Learn about the Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services regarding applications, licensing, and the services they provide.
If you are having difficulty finding the information you need, please contact DHS.
Join our ListServ to receive email updates related to Human Services Licensing.
**WHAT'S NEW - Updates to the Website**
- BHSL will be holding a webinar on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 from 10:00am - 11:30am for Personal Care Home and Assisted Living Providers entitled "Quality Management for Compliance”. Registration is required to attend the webinar and may be accessed through this link. After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. Any questions may be directed to the Operator Support Hotline at (866) 503-3926 or email@example.com
- Request for Input on Opportunities to Coordinate Licensing, Certification, and Incident Management Conducted by the Departments of Human Services, Health, Drug and Alcohol Programs, and Aging. To participate in this process click here.
- Providers licensed pursuant to 55 Pa. Code Chapter 6400 (relating to Community Homes for people with Intellectual Disabilities) and Chapter 6500 (relating to Family Living homes) who wish to open a new home under an existing license may self-inspect the home in lieu of an inspection conducted by the Department of Human Services, Office of Developmental Programs (Department) provided certain criteria are met. The Department has updated the “Self-Inspection and Declaration Tool” to support understanding of ODP Waiver requirements as they relate to licensing. The revised tools can be found under the Intellectual Disabilities - Forms section below.
- The Personal Care Homes Annual Reports for 2015 and 2016 have been posted to the website. The annual reports can be found under the Personal Care Homes- Miscellaneous Information section of this page.
- Previously recorded webinars may be found under the "General - Training Information" link below.
- Free annual training is being offered for PCH Administrators. See the links titled "Free Training for PCH Administrators" under the "Personal Care Homes - Training Information" link below.
- The Department of Human Services is seeking human service provider feedback about the most recent licensing inspection at your facility and/or new application submissions within past 12 months. The surveys are brief and will only take about 5 minutes to complete. The responses will be reviewed and assessed for improvements to the licensing process. Participation is voluntary and responses will be kept confidential. An aggregate of the survey results will be posted on the Bureau of Human Services Licensing website at least annually. To access the survey links, please see the link below titled "General - Miscellaneous Information" under the "General Information" section. After clicking on the link titled "General - Miscellaneous Information", scroll down to the bolded, highlighted text "Provider Survey"; the survey links are in blue font (January 13, 2017).
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) OPERATOR SUPPORT HOTLINE
Do you have a question, comment, complaint or suggestion for the Bureau of Human Services Licensing? Now there's a hotline just for you! Human Services Licensing’s Operator Support Hotline is available from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. each business day.
For assistance call: 1-866-503-3926
(This hotline is for human service operators)
Calls to the hotline may be anonymous and will not result in unannounced licensing inspections
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) COMPLAINT HOTLINE
Do you or someone you know receive services from a human services setting?
Do you have a complaint or a concern about how care is provided?
If so, call: 1-877-401-8835