Health Care/Medical Assistance

Medical Assistance, also known as Medicaid, and sometimes referred to as MA, pays for health care services for eligible individuals.

The Department of Human Services is requesting a waiver from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to continue to provide Medical Assistance for former foster care youth who moved to Pennsylvania from a different state. A public notice has been posted in the Pennsylvania Bulletin. View a draft copy of the Section 1115 Waiver application.  

How to Apply for Medical Assistance

There are a couple of different ways to apply for Medical Assistance, please choose the option that suits you. If you do not know if you are eligible, you may still apply.

  1. You can apply for or renew your Medical Assistance benefits online by using COMPASS.  COMPASS is the name of the website where you can apply for Medical Assistance and many other services that can help you make ends meet.
  2. You can apply by telephone for Health Care Coverage by calling the Consumer Service Center for Health Care Coverage at 1-866-550-4355.
  3. You can also apply for Medical Assistance by contacting your local county assistance office.
  4. Or, you can download an application form to send to your county assistance office. If you need help completing the application form, a county assistance office staff member can help you.  Click on the link to download an application.

Application for cash assistance, SNAP and Medical Assistance Benefits (PDF download)
Solicitud para recibir beneficios (Solicitud para recibir beneficios; PDF transferencia directa)

What if I am not eligible for Medical Assistance?

Contact your county assistance office and a trained staff member will determine what programs may be available to you.

Or you may explore these links to learn about additional health care programs available in Pennsylvania.

What kind of care is available through Medical Assistance?

  • Physical Health Options
  • Mental Health/Substance Abuse Services Options